Memory Retraining Classes
Connections Class is designed for people seeking curriculum-based memory retraining once a week. Our goal is to support high quality of life and productivity for each student. We deliver a stimulating “brain day” with positive education, socialization and mutual support. Classes cost $50 per session. Fee assistance is available for students who qualify.
Memory enhancement and compensatory skill-building are central to Connections. Also included are intentional peer-to-peer problem-solving, light physical exercise, restfulness training and camaraderie.
Connections Class is rewarding and spurs friendships outside of class. We openly address memory questions and concerns, challenging students to actively adopt brain-healthy self-care. We emphasize the positive in a failure-free environment.
Our proactive program uses innovative digital and hands-on technology to improve visual, language, memory, and spatial skills. We incorporate yoga and meditation to promote memory retention, to “cool the brain,” and to uplift a sense of well-being.
We know depression interferes with memory, and socialization in a program like Connections Class is important to keep it at bay. Connections’ intensive memory retraining includes:
- Education related to memory and brain function
- Cognitive and mental fitness exercises
- Weekly opportunities for expressive art and music
- Meditation and yoga
- Individual use of digital training on iPads
- Class use of digital training
- Memory enhancement techniques and strategies to maximize memory retention
- Instruction on Mediterranean lifestyle and nutrition
- Physical activity and/or education on its benefits
- Camaraderie and support from peers
10 AM Welcome & Social Time
Welcome participants, introduce new people, and check in with the group.
10:15 – 10:30 Educational Topics and Discussion
Topic of the day is taught. Participation strongly encouraged.
- Activating Language Skills
- The Importance of Creative Writing and Brain Health
- Read excerpts from “Your Brain on Writing” research paper
- Therapeutic Use of Art and Music
10:30-11:30 Class Activity Students engage in written class work using skills taught.
11:40-12:00 Brain “Cooling”
Training in relaxation, exercise, yoga, art, guided brain games on iPad.
Group review topic of day, encouraging use of skills taught.
For additional information about Connections Classes, call Memory Matters at 843-842-6688 from 9 AM – 5 PM Monday through Friday.