Connections Class is designed for people experiencing early memory challenges. Our goal is to prolong quality of life and productivity for each student. We deliver a stimulating “brain day” with positive socialization and mutual support. Classes cost $50 per session. Fee assistance is available for those students who qualify.
Memory enhancement and compensatory skill-building are central to Connections. Also included are intentional peer-to-peer problem-solving, exercise, and camaraderie.
Connections Class is rewarding and spurs friendships outside of class. We openly address memory issues, challenging students to actively adopt brain-healthy self-care. We emphasize the positive in a failure-free environment.
Our proactive program uses innovative digital and hands-on technology to improve visual, language, memory, and spatial skills. We incorporate yoga and meditation to promote memory retention, to “cool the brain,” and to uplift a sense of well-being.
We know depression interferes with memory, and socialization in a program like Connections Class is important to keep it at bay. Three hours of Connections’ curriculum-based intensive brain training includes:
- Education related to memory and brain function
- Cognitive and mental fitness exercises
- Weekly opportunities for expressive art and music
- Meditation and yoga
- Individual use of digital training on iPads
- Class use of digital training, based on proprietary software iN2L
- Memory enhancement techniques and strategies to live with memory loss
- Instruction on Mediterranean lifestyle and nutrition
- Physical activity and/or education on its benefits
- Camaraderie and support from peers
9:30AM Welcome & Social Time
Welcome participants, introduce new people, and check in with the group.
9:45 – 10:15 Educational Topics and Discussion
Topic of the day is taught. Participation is strongly encouraged.
- Activating Our Language Skills
- The Importance of Creative Writing and Brain Health
- Read excerpts from “Your Brain on Writing” research paper
10:15-11:00 Class Activity Students engage in written class work using skills taught.
11:10-12:00 Brain “Cooling”
Relaxation, exercise, yoga, art, guided brain games on iPad.
Group review topic of day, encouraging use of skills taught.
For additional information about Connections Class, call 843-842-6688 from 9 AM – 5 PM Monday through Friday, or click here to complete our Contact Us form.